Wednesday, June 4, 2008

How Do You Measure a Year?

1. I taught citing incorrectly for the first two trimesters.

2. I made a girl, who has a terminal disease in remission, feel guilty about earning bonus points.

3. I didn't keep organized book lists and probably lost fifteen books for my department. 

4. I thought solving problems after school would work better than a corny joke.

5. I gave out several handouts with grammatical errors. Ok, I'm lying   --many handouts.

6. I didn't do the required SAT prep one day a week during the last trimester, and I did it about every two weeks during the first two trimesters. I hate SAT prep and my students know it.

7. I was intimidated by and nervous around some students, and as a result, I made several snappy, rude comments that I would expect to hear out of the mouthes of students and not my mouth.

8. I quizzed my students on vocabulary words that I didn't (and still don't) know the definitions for.

9. After trying REALLY hard not to, I gave up on four students.

10. I had a student tell me today that she can't stop thinking and now she thinks in a way she never knew possible before because of my class.

I'm going to say it was a successful year.

11. I haven't lost my tendency to be overly optimistic sometimes.

No comments: